Thursday, October 25, 2018

Contrite

I can love you more with each day that passes,
But I’ll hurt you with each day too.
Maybe fleeing would save you time
A departure wrought with the desire to protect you.
A dichotomy of love and pain,
I’ll heal then rip you open.
A perplexing precipice of discomfort,
I can’t take back the words unspoken.
Incapable of guarding your heart completely,
For I am it’s greatest foe.
Secrecy to guard the apotheosis,
Destroying the pedestal with each new thing you know.

Please forgive me of my trespasses,
The old ones and the new.
For when I look back as I walk,
Know my favorite sight will be you.
I only wish to keep you safe,
From my demons that live inside.
For yours is the only heart I care to guard,
Failure because I didn’t confide.
Your future is auspicious, paved with stones of promise
The journey you walk will be bright.
I’ll stand and admire your growth from a distance,
Just know that my heart is contrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment