Friday, August 17, 2018

Mountain Vs. Melody

Sitting inside our rowboat, together side by side
A common goal, a destination, we'll reach it despite high tides.
In the distance I see mountains, deep hues of blue and green.
An oar for each of us to use, so much beauty yet to be seen.

We weren't prepared for the current, our ship moved by the undertow,
The only thing that could be done was look ahead and continue to row.
Steadfast eyes focused on the mountains, such a beautiful sight to see.
All will be well when we get there, we'll be together and we'll be free.

You fell asleep in our small row boat just as a rock appeared in our way.
"Fret not my sweet love," I whispered, "I won't let us go astray."
I chart another course, still headed for the great beauty.
I rowed on while you slept, watching with love as you dreamt beside me.

I fear my course was wrong, my heart grew heavy as my arms grew tired,
"Please wake up my sweet love," I plead, "for I need to be inspired."
Never did I resent you for escaping to your dreams,
I kept rowing because the mountains could still be seen.

I truly thought you'd wake up rested, ready to row beside my heart.
Alas you woke up startled and shaken, while you were dreaming we drifted apart,
You awoke confused and angry, feeling a genuine lack of control.
While in your slumber you dreamt of a different place, one where a melody sings to your soul. 

Alarmed that I did not keep the course we had mapped out at the start.
But the rock had forced me to rework our course, "It was all for us." I try to impart.
"I had to keep rowing to keep us afloat." My words fell on ears already occupied.
You jump ship to chase your dream, leaving me in the boat where my own dreams only died.

Maybe had I dreamt alongside you the tide would have carried us safely home,
for now the mountain seems much less appealing when you are forced to reach it on your own.
Blues and greens now tinted gray with the memories yet to be made,
We would have made it safely there if only you had stayed.

I wish I could hear the melody that stole your heart from me as you slept,
It must have been truly beautiful, for all of you it did intercept.
Had I known our journey would take this turn, a fitting harmony I would have created.
Maybe then you would be proud of me, my endless support only leaving you elated.

Or was the melody ever-present, lulling you into happiness each time you closed your eyes.
Did it trap your heart in those dreams and while awake you told your own heart lies.
Maybe in the middle of the ocean, in a row boat built for you and I,
Your heart made it's final decision, it no longer wanted to lie.

I wish you joy and I wish you peace, I hope your heart is filled with song,
I'll keep listening for all my days for if I hear what you heard, maybe I'll know just where I went wrong.

1 comment:

  1. This makes my heart ache, because I know exactly how you feel. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete